Sunday, January 20, 2008

Martian Luther Kings birthday


I just watched a CNN special report about Martian Luther King Jr. It had me in tears as I watched the courage of the people, both black and white living and some dying for what most of us take for granted "basic human rights". The right to get an education, to vote, to get paid a fair wage for our work, and less tangible things like a right for human dignity. I guess one of the things that drives me in my passion to help orphans is this need to secure their basic rights. A right to have food, health care, education, and love. When you adopt a child, you are giving what every child should be born with. This is no small matter.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Martin Luther King, Jr.