Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A cold New Year


I just read a story on CNN about the cold in China. Many people can not go home for the Chinese New Year. For many of them this is the only vacation in a year. Others are without power or water or heat. 5 years ago tomorrow (the first day of the New Year) a women in China gave birth to a baby girl. 2 days later (Feb 9, 2003) she would leave this baby on a stone bench near a water treatment plant on the outskirts of Nanjing City. Tomorrow this baby girl, Sarah turns 5 years old. I'm sure it will be the first birthday she has ever celebrated. We don't want to overwhelm her. She will have a small party at kindergarten, and another family party at home. She wants to have chocolate fondue instead of cake. I think of her birth mother. The daughter she abandoned turns 5 years old on the biggest day of the year. I feel so sad for her. I wish I could tell her how Sarah is doing. I wish she would know she has given us a gift beyond measure or words. I wish she knew her daughter is blessed.