Friday, January 9, 2009

Could it be done?


Both the Hague Convention Adoption Process (Convention adoptions) and the orphan adoption process, (or non-Convention adoptions) involve two basic U.S. determinations: 1) The suitability of the adoptive parents, and 2) Whether the child’s adoption meets eligibility requirements in order for the child to immigrate to the United States.
So what’s the difference? HERE is a chart that marks the difference of adopting from a Hague country like China, and a non Hague country like Ethiopia. As far as I can tell I could still adopt through a US process (as a US citizen living abroad) if I adopt a child that lives in a country that is not part of the Hague. So unless I move back to America I can not adopt from China again. But Ethiopia (also a dream) is possible. Now that I have this figured out I just need to work on Juergen.

In other news...
Sarah lost her first tooth. She turns 6 years old in one month. We have a special butterfly chart that acts as a calendar to count down the days until she is 6. Each morning we add a new sticker to her chart so she knows how long it is to her big day. She has already made a list of what she wants. So far that list includes a real bunny, and a microphone because she plans on being a singer.