Tuesday, March 24, 2009

When Love Is Not Enough: A Guide to Parenting with Reactive Attachment Disorder-RAD

I just read on a yahoo group about a camp for adopted kids and families that need some help in the area of attachment. They still have openings for 7 families in Florida at the end of March. They hold camps all over the country and I've read they are good. They even have one in Oregon in Oct. I would love to go to that. Anyway, I bought a book called When Love Is Not Enough: A Guide to Parenting with Reactive Attachment Disorder-RAD. I probably can not make it to a camp, but I can always read. I still do not feel as bonded to Thomas (adopted at age 7) as I would like. It is getting better slowly. I'm taking him to Paris with me in May. I hope that trip helps us grow closer. Attachment is a process. Some kids need more time then others. It isn't always easy to trust someone, especially when you had to fight alone for years. I have read these camps are very helpful, and I hope some of you can go.