Tuesday, January 1, 2008





The first cup of coffee was from a Nanjing Starbucks cup. I sat across the breakfast table from Sarah, Nicole, Thomas, and Philip. Jessica had already put herself back to bed. Nicole remembered that 7 years ago today our friend Mattias picked us up in his big Mercedes van and drove us to the Frankfurt airport. We were on our way to Thailand for the very first time. On our way to pick up Philip. On our way to adopt for the first time. We had no idea how that experience would impact our lives. We not only adopted Philip, we also met Thomas there. I remember the line from the Dr Seuss Christmas classic The Grinch...and the Grinch's heart grew 3 sizes that day. I think seeing all those waiting children up close and personal causes your heart to grow. You can not help but want to do everything you can to help make their lives better. My heart grew and I could never fit comfortably into my old ways. We changed Philip's whole life...and he has changed ours.